Sunday, March 21, 2010

Killed in a bar when he was only three


Davy Crockett died this past week. He was the first childhood hero I remember. I just read a riddle about him. Why could Davy Crockett hear so well? He had a left ear, a right ear and a wild frontier. Actually it was Tonto who could hear the best, but he never knew Davy Crockett.

I used to sing the Davy Crockett theme song. but I was this young suburban Jewish kid who grew up near Philadelphia. Kill't him a b'ar when he was only three. If someone would have explained to me that he murdered a bear at 36 months I don't know if I would have liked him more or less. In the mid 50's murdering wild animals was just what you did, no questions asked.

I wondered today if I was the only one who got that line of the song wrong. I googled it and found this it is a misheard lyric, duh. but that is where the riddle came from so it was worth the search.

I still have a Davy Crockett Wallet, I even have the box it came in. This is important in collecting circles, means you are totally OCD. Here is an image of the wallet from an antique site.

It sold for $70. I had a coonskin cap as well but hat disappeared while Eisenhower was still president. My friend David was obsessed with Davy Crockett, he changed his name to Davy (well that wasn't too hard was it?) and he had everything, the entire outfit, the tent, the rifle, the powder horn. My friend David killed him a tarantula when he was only 5. So he says.

I liked the Lone Ranger, don't get me wrong, but he looked like a pudgy raccoon. Tonto on the other hand was very cool and I bet secretly wished the Stone Stranger would fall off a cliff. There are all those jokes about what Keemo Sabe means. There is actually scholarly writing on the subject:

http://www.old-time.com/misc/kemo.html

And Trigger, the horse. Is it true that the Lone Ranger had him stuffed and placed in his living room?

Wait, this is about Davy Crockett. His side kick was Jed Clampett. Before Jed became a millionaire while shootin' at some food.

My father, see previous posts, would laugh with great guffaws recalling my song lyric gaffe. It is the last thing I remember him talking about before he died. He was a few years older than Davy Crockett.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAVN_n0PljQ

Good bye Davy.

No comments: